Reflection essay about ethics about leadership
Develop a proper conceptual understanding of leadership history and emerging perspectives.
- Identify and critically analyze approaches to leadership as they apply to the development and transformation of individuals and organizations.
- Assess how diversity impacts leadership processes and outcomes.
- Critically evaluate ethical dilemmas related to leadership.
The Board of an organization has contacted University’s Business School to ask if a Lecturer would help generate ideas from students about improving ethical leadership within their organization. The organization has recently had to remove the CEO for being an ‘unethical leader.’ The Board is not saying what the previous CEO did that was unethical, but they now are sure that they want to appoint a new CEO- who will be considered an ethical leader. The Board wants to know what current Business School students believe in ethical leadership and conceptualize it in academic peer-reviewed journal articles. The Board wants to know precisely what the students think, their own life experiences and values, what elements of ethical leadership are the most important within a contemporary organization.
Why is ethics important in a leadership essay?
Your task: You will need to choose THREE articles from academic journals (published between 2011-2021) that discuss elements of ethics and leadership. Your job is to critically analyze these articles about your own life experiences and values and reflectively consider what learnings you would recommend the board consider in their new appointment of a CEO. These scholarly articles should form the basis of your ideas and recommendations about improving ethical leadership within the organization. Still, you can use your own experiences and values to inform what you feel would be most important. First and foremost, you should consider how reading these articles has transformed your understanding of ethics and leadership and how this information could influence the Board to understand ethical leadership and how to appoint a moral leader within the organization.
It is recommended that you complete this assignment in stages throughout the semester rather than leave it all until the last few weeks before it is due. Start searching for your THREE articles now so that these can be approved during workshop sessions.
- Briefly introduce your three articles and the perspectives they present in discussing ethics and leadership. Explain why you chose each one.
- Summarise how each article defines and discusses ‘ethical leadership’ and how these compare and contrast to each other.
Analysis for each article
Start each analytical section with a heading that captures the article’s main point and references the article you are going to analyze and reflect upon critically.
For each article, reflect upon the key arguments or findings from the paper and relate these to your personal experiences and values to explain why you feel the Board should take notice of the ideas presented in the article. Follow traditional paragraph structure to make your points and link personal experience to scholarly pictures.
- Critically summarise the key ideas from the article and link the article ideas, your reflections, and what you think the Board should know in terms of what elements of ethical leadership are the most important within a contemporary organization.
- Analyze how the theory or insights from the article have helped you to reflect upon how you now think about leadership ethics.
- Move beyond merely describing or illustrating a concept or model to demonstrate deeper analysis and internal dialogue about this concept or theory and show the personal transformation of your thinking about leadership and ethics.
Key questions to consider in reflective writing
- What have you learned because of your analysis and reflection using this article?
- What do you believe the Board needs to know from this analysis and why?
- Has applying different theories, concepts, and perspectives related to ethical leadership created insight for you?
- How do you hope your new knowledge about ethical leadership will impact the board to increase ethical leadership within the organization?
- Based on your in-depth reading and engagement with each article and their discussion of ethical leadership, create your definition of ‘ethical leadership’ by synthesizing critical ideas from these articles. This definition should be your own words and reflect essential elements of each of the pieces.
- Summarise the key ideas you have presented in your essay and highlight the key points you feel the Board should take away from your analysis and reflections.