Marking Period 3 Project – Song of Solomon; An Analysis of Cruelty
Throughout our reading of Song of Solomon, we have seen many instances of how cruelty affects the female characters and how cruelty is dictated by gender and gender roles. Specifically, we will focus on the way the men in the novel treat the women in their lives.
You will include information from the novel and the two informational texts attached to develop your ideas and draw evidence from all three to support your claims.
Marking Period 3 Project – Song of Solomon; An Analysis of Cruelty. Introduction-Define gender inequality and identify its effects on society? How does this lead to cruelty/cruel treatment?
Include your thesis sentence about this topic here. (Claim + 3 Ground Reasons)
Body 1- Choose one male character (Macon II or Milkman) for your focus
• How does this character’s perspective of gender/gender roles affect his life
• How does this character’s perspective affect his treatment of Ruth, Corinthians, Lena, Pilate, and/or Hagar? (Choose ONE female character)
• How does (your chosen female character) incorporate this treatment into their day to day lives?
Body 2- Keeping the same male character for this paragraph:
• How does this character’s perspective affect his treatment of Ruth, Corinthians, Lena, Pilate, and/or Hagar? (Choose ANOTHER female character)
• How does (your chosen female character) incorporate this treatment into her day to day life?
Body 3- Describe how modern society sees cruelty towards women or cruelty treatment
• How does society view the ill treatment of women?
• In what ways are gender roles to blame for this treatment?
• What connections can you make to Morrison’s Song of Solomon?
Conclusion- How are we affected by the cruelty of gender inequality today? Explain.
|There is a well-focused Thesis Statement that introduces the essay ad clearly addresses all elements of the outline.|
|The paper has no MLA formatting errors. The paper is properly set-up, and the sources are correctly cited.|
|Essay contains a thorough explanation and analysis that demonstrates mastery and depth of understanding of how cruelty is developed through gender roles/perspective.|
|Logical progression of ideas with a clear structure that enhances the thesis. Transitions are mature and graceful.|