Required Readings Yegidis, B. L., Weinbach, R. W., & Myers, L. L. (2018). Research methods for social workers (8th ed.). New York, NY: Pearson. Chapter 5, “Quantitative Research” (pp…..
Juvenile court process
APA Style (double spaced, no spacing after paragraphs, first line indent, etc)
Include examples to support position
3 peer-reviewed references beyond the attached article
6 FULL pages
As with many parts of the judicial system, there is a level of discretion that is available to the actors. As an example, the police officer may choose to release or detain a youthful offender depending on the circumstances, policy, and the law. The concept of discretion continues throughout the court process with intake officers, juvenile court officers, and juvenile court judges which could lead to diversion programs and other methods of disposing of the case.
There are instances where a juvenile commits a public offense that “shocks the conscience” of society to a level that demands more punishment than what might be available through the juvenile court system. In such cases, state laws can dictate when a juvenile case is transferred to the adult court. The concept of the waiver process is controversial, and the debate concerning the use of waivers and when to use those waivers is ongoing.
Develop a position paper on the juvenile justice court systems structure and processes.
– Define the juvenile court system, including its structure, court processes (informal and formal dispositions) and trial, institutionalization, and treatment options available within the system.
– Explain how the informal and formal dispositions are used within the juvenile court system. Examine the informal and formal dispositions elements, procedures and how they are applied in juvenile cases.
– Explain how the trial, institutionalization and treatment options work within the juvenile court system. Examine how each option is used in the court system and how they are applied in juvenile cases.
– Assess the court processes effectiveness within the juvenile court system.
– Discuss the challenges of using these court processes and recommend possible solutions for improvement.
– Define the history concerning the use of the waiver process in the juvenile court system. Examine how the waiver process is applied in juvenile cases.
– Assess the effectiveness of the waiver process and its impact on juvenile offenders.
– Take a position, for or against, using the waiver process as a methodology for the treatment of juvenile offenders.
– Provide recommendation(s) on how to refine the waiver process.