Is the populism that has emerged in Europe and the United States in the last 5 or so years fundamentally incompatible with democracy? Why/Why not?
This is a response paper, so your job is not to simply answer the question by summarizing the
readings. Your job is to answer the question by providing analysis of the readings. You should
engage with the text and interact with the author’s viewpoint. The paper should be more of a
dialogue between you and the readings– not a summary. I have included a list of the readings.
No outside research should be done to answer this prompt. Please use parenthetical citations
(author name, page #)
● The Federalist Papers#10, 51
● Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America II, Part II, chaps. 5,7,8
● Frances Lee and Nolan McCarty, 2019. “The Anxieties of American Democracy,” in
Can America Govern Itself?, pp. 1-12.
● Didi Kuo, 2019. “Comparing America: Reflections on Democracy Across Subfields,”
Perspectives on Politics17(3): 788-800
● Francis Fukuyama, 2014. Political Order and Political Decay chapters 33-34, pp.
● Cas Mudde,. 2004. “The populist Zeitgeist,” Government and Opposition, 39, 541-563.
● Berman 2016. “The Lost Left,” Journal of Democracy, 27, 4: 69-77
● Anna Grzymala-Busse,. 2017. “Global Populisms and Their Impact”, Slavic
● Bruce Stokes, 2016.“The Immigration Crisis is Tearing Europe Apart,” Foreign
Policy, July 24.