Overcoming an Eating Disorder in USA. When I was first diagnosed with anorexia in eighth grade, it took time before I got comfortable in my own skin. Anorexia refers to….
Importance of Empirical Research in Criminal Justice
Importance of Empirical Research in Criminal Justice. Much of what is done in the field of criminal justice, whether knowingly or unknowingly, is impacted by some form of
research. Conducting research in the field of criminal justice is important because it can help to inform best practices and
serve as a form of checks and balances across various aspects of the criminal justice system. While research can be
beneficial to the field of criminal justice, if the proper research methodologies and guidelines are not followed research
can be harmful to participants and to the operational components in the field of criminal justice. In order to ensure the
production of the least amount of harm associated with a research study, ethical guidelines have been established by the
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS). Many agencies, including criminal justice related agencies such
as the U.S. Department of Justice, use the DHHS model policy on human research subjects to create their own human
- explore empirical research in the field of criminal justice,
- evaluate the importance of empirical research to the field justice, and
- identify ethical considerations associated with conducting empirical research in the field of criminal justice.
- To accomplish this task, imagine yourself as one of the following:
- superior court judge
- commander of the patrol division of a police department
- chief juvenile probation officer, or
- deputy warden of treatment in a prison.
Importance of Empirical Research
- Identify the role you have chosen.
- Identify a topic that empirical research could be used to explore in your chosen role.
- Based on the topic you selected, develop a research question and/or hypothesis you want to empirically explore.
- MCJ 5532, Research Methods in Criminal Justice Administration 3
- 4. Identify whether your research focus will be pure research or applied research.
- Identify whether your research design will be qualitative research or quantitative research.
- Section 2: Importance of Empirical Research in Criminal Justice
- Discuss why conducting empirical research on the research question you developed is important to the field of
- criminal justice.
- Section 3: Ethics & Empirical Research
- 1. For the topic that you selected, explore the related ethical issues by addressing the following questions:
- a. What procedures need to be avoided to reduce the amount of harm (i.e., conducting unethical research)
- experienced by respondents during this research? How would you honor the commitments made to
- respondents and respect reciprocity?
- b. What steps would you need to take to ensure that you were objective and professional in conducting the
- research and reporting research results?
- c. What measures would you need to take to ensure that the respondents’ confidentiality and privacy were
- Further explore ethical considerations related to conducting empirical research in the field of criminal justice by
- responding to the following tasks:
- a. Discuss how a research study related to your chosen topic could involve the collaboration of a local college or
- university and/or a local community organization.
- b. Discuss the role of the institutional review board regarding evaluating whether or not your study protects
- human subjects.