Globalization Impact on Latin-America. If you are interested in economics and globalization you may want to explore, for example, the economic impact on parts of Latin America of the migrants who leave the area to work in North America in order to send money to their countries of origin. The issue of globalization in a particular area could also be analyzed from a socio-cultural perspective; for example, you may want to discuss the impact of globalization on Latin American contemporary culture or the influence of American culture on certain cities or regions. If your field is international relations, politics, or economics, you may want to discuss how the influences of power and dominance from external forces influenced the people in the past and continue today (e.g., IMF, structural adjustments, US influence).
Globalization Impact on Latin-America
- Explain how globalization has impacted and changed the entire region we call Latin America.
- Explain the origin of the BRIC countries and how Brazil became a member of BRIC. What is the role of BRIC, and Brazil in particular, in shaping the rise of the Emerging Economies and the G20? How has BRIC, the Emerging Economies, and the G20 group challenged the dominance of the world by the West?
- How has the debt problem shifted from Latin America to European countries? What are the major causes of this important shift?
- How did President Hugo Chavez and Venezuela challenge American imperialism in Latin America? Which Latin American countries have been the major supporters of Chavez and Venezuela in challenging US imperialism?
- How has American warmongering disasters in Afghanistan, Iraq, and the Middle East helped Latin America to escape continued US imperialism in Latin America?
- How has the massive increase in migration into the US by Latin Americans changed Latin America? Comment on whether Latin Americans who return to lands which were taken militarily from Mexico by the US should be considered illegal immigrants.
- Has the continued high demand for illegal drugs by Americans caused the drug menace in Mexico? What solutions would you recommend?
- Explain why free trade areas such as NAFTA benefit all of the member countries. Explain how trade is different from colonization. Focus on the key factor that trade is mutually beneficial to all parties because it is voluntary, while colonization benefits the imperial power at the expense of the colonies because it is imposed by military force.
- Explain why it’s impossible for Latin America to develop and increase its per capita income without global free trade, foreign investment, population control, and emigration out of Latin America. Comment on why foreign debt incurred for investment and economic growth is good debt; whereas, foreign debt incurred for private or public consumption is bad debt.