Discuss the distinction between official and unofficial employee action
“A positive employee relations climate and high levels of employee engagement have the potential to lead to enhanced business outcomes, better health and well-being. Here we provide a collection of resources covering employee relations and the psychological contract; employee communication and employee voice; employee engagement; mediation and conflict; absence management; diversity in the workplace; and flexible working practices” https://www.cipd.co.uk/knowledge/fundamentals/relations
Follow the link above to access the CIPD resources to help you to gain the knowledge, information and tools to manage the employment relationship with topics on absence management, diversity, gender pay gap reporting, flexible working and employee engagement.
Research and assess emerging trends in the types of conflict and industrial sanctions that affect organizational performance
Preparation for the Tasks:
- At the start of your assignment, you are encouraged to plan your assessment work with your Assessor and where appropriate agree milestones so that they can help you monitor your progress.
- Refer to the indicative content in the unit to guide and support your
- Pay attention to how your evidence is presented, remember you are working in the People Practice Team for this
- Ensure that the evidence generated for this assessment remains your own work.
You will also benefit from:
- Acting on formative feedback from your Assessor.
- Reflecting on your own experiences of learning opportunities and training and continuing professional
- Reading the CIPD Insight, Fact Sheets and related online material on these
Task One – Information document
As your information document is being prepared for a formal senior management meeting (SMT), it should be clear and well supported by appropriate theory and legislation. Please provide clear guidance on where your resources can be found in the form of a comprehensive bibliography. You can use the AC numbers as your headings for each section.
Your information document is to be provided to SMT for their forthcoming planning meeting where the main priority is to identify ways to improve business performance. The SMT don’t normally deal with day-to-day employment relationship matters so will need to have clear guidance from you. Your CEO has asked that your document should include an understanding of the connections between the employee relationship and organisational performance.
The document must therefore include:
Identify the distinction between organizational conflict and misbehavior, and between informal and formal conflict within the organisation.
Discuss the distinction between official and unofficial employee action.
Research and assess emerging trends in the types of conflict and industrial sanctions that affect organizational performance.
Distinguish between third-party conciliation, mediation and arbitration to help SMT understand the differences including the benefits and constraints of each
Explain the principles of legislation relating to unfair dismissal in respect of capability and misconduct issues.
Analyse and present the key causes of employee grievances and explain the skills required for effective grievance and discipline-handling procedures. Advise on the importance of handling grievances effectively