Analyze factors in the internal and external labor market that influence the supply of and demand for firefighters
You are the newly appointed director of human resource management for the fire department of a city in the northeastern United States. Your organization has struggled to hire new firefighters for some time. Your predecessor attempted to increase recruitment and selection of new firefighters by implementing an employee referral plan. However, the number of new hires through referrals has fallen short of hiring goals. The need for firefighters intensified when your city’s newly elected mayor promised to combat wildfires by increasing the number of firefighters in areas with higher wildfire risk. The fire department has met the need for increased staff by assigning existing firefighters the additional hours and paying overtime wages. As the number of hours worked and overtime payments increased over time, this practice—originally intended to be a short-term remedy—attracted unwanted attention.
A front-page article in your city’s newspaper has revealed that three firefighters earned higher annual salaries than the mayor, due to excessive overtime. Stung and embarrassed by this disclosure, the mayor fired your predecessor and put you in his place. Both the mayor and your boss have given orders to “reduce overtime by hiring new firefighters immediately!” This mandate requires you to plan and implement new strategies to hire 25 new firefighters.
Fortunately, the former director of human resources left behind several documents that will help you perform these tasks. Refer to the following documents in the “Supporting Documents” section as directed when you perform the requirements below: (1) “Memo on Proposed Employee Referral Plan,” (2) “Job Description of City Firefighters,” and (3) “Data on Recruitment Sources and Methods.”
Create a report (suggested length of 5–10 pages) in which you address the following:
- Analyze factors in the internal and external labor market that influence the supply of and demand for firefighters by doing the following (refer to the scenario above and the attached “Memo on Proposed Employee Referral Plan” to complete these tasks):
- Discuss threefactors that are influencing labor demand.
- Discuss threefactors that are influencing labor supply.
- Design a recruitment plan for firefighters by doing the following (refer to the task attachments and your knowledge of best practices to complete these tasks):
- Identify threerecruitment objectives for your organization.
- Develop a recruitment strategy for attracting job applicants by doing the following:
- Determine the size of the applicant pool needed to produce 25 viable candidates (job offer-ready) using yield ratios and the recruitment data in the attached “Data on Recruitment Sources and Methods.”
- Recommend twotypes of individuals who should be targeted for recruitment (i.e., the target groups listed in the attached “Data on Recruitment Sources and Methods”).
- Justify eachof your two recommendations.
- Describe twoeffective methods for reaching eachtarget group.
- Design a selection plan for firefighters by doing the following:
- Recommend threeappropriate selection methods for alltarget candidates.
- Justify eachof your three recommendations.
- Describe twoselection tests you will use to assess a candidate’s suitability for the job of firefighter.
- Identify twobackground verification checks that should be used in the selection process including the following:
- Type of check
- When the check should be conducted in the selection process
4. Discuss four methods of evaluating the overall effectiveness of your recruitment and selection plans.