ACA Repeal Medicare and Medicaid Proposals. Discussion theme: Republicans want to turn the Medicaid program into a state block grant program. Describe their proposal and its implications for Medicaid recipients, health care providers, for the states and federal government, and for the health care financing system. What are the politics? What do you think and why?
In Your initial discussion (order) you should have at least four sources. In this order, refer at least two articles related to your entry from a reputable newspapers (can be online) or other media sources that is current within one month and post the link. You must have at least four references in your in this order and the media sources can be two. An easy way to find current articles on health policy is through Kaiser Health News.
ACA Repeal Medicare and Medicaid Proposals
• McDonough J. (August 11, 2017). A Bipartisan “What’s Next” for Health Reform Health Stew. Retrieved from https://healthstew.com/2017/08/11/a-bipartisan-whats-next-for-u-s-health-reform/.
• Neuman, T., & Jacobsen, G. (2016). Turning Medicare into a premium support system: Frequently Asked Questions Kaiser Family Foundation. Retrieved from http://kff.org/medicare/issue-brief/turning-medicare-into-a-premium-support-system-frequently-asked-questions.
• Rudowitz, R. (2017). 5 Key Questions: Medicaid Block Grants & Per Capital Caps Kaiser Family Foundation. Retrieved from http://kff.org/medicaid/issue-brief/5-key-questions-medicaid-block-grants-per-capita-caps/.
• Steinhauer, Jennifer (July 17, 2017) New York Times. Old Truth Trips Up GOP on Health Law: A Benefit is Hard to Retract Retrieved from https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/17/us/politics/republican-party-health-care-law-obamacare.html?&moduleDetail=top-news-2&action=click&contentCollection=undefined®ion=Footer&module=TopNews&version=WhatsNext&contentID=WhatsNext&pgtype=undefined
• Compare Proposals to Replace The Affordable Care Act. Kaiser Family Foundation. Retrieved from https://www.kff.org/interactive/proposals-to-replace-the-affordable-care-act/.
Media and articles on the effort to repeal and replace the ACA:
• Kaiser Family Foundation
• Kaiser Health News Articles (and links to all media from all over the country)
• New York Times Articles
• Appleby, Julie (February 7, 2018). Despite Changes That Undermined ACA Enrollment, Marketplaces “Remarkably Stable.” Kaiser Health News. Retrieved from https://khn.org/news/despite-changes-that-undermined-aca-enrollment-marketplaces-remarkably-stable/
• Galewitz, Phil. (March 1, 2018) ACA’s Popularity Grows, Even As GOP Lauds Change to Requirements to Have Coverage. Kaiser Health News. Retrieved from https://khn.org/news/acas-popularity-grows-even-as-gop-lauds-change-to-requirement-to-have-coverage/
• Rovner, Julie (March 2, 2018). Congress Races the Clock to Bring Stability to the Individual Insurance Market. Kaiser Health News. Retrieved from https://khn.org/news/congress-races-the-clock-in-quest-to-bring-stability-to-individual-insurance-market/
• Bluth, Rachael. (March 9, 2018). A Health Plan “Down Payment” is One Way States Try Retooling Individual Mandate. Kaiser Health News. Retrieved from https://khn.org/news/a-health-plan-down-payment-is-one-way-states-try-retooling-individual-mandate/
• Sanger-Katz, M. (May 22, 2018). The Upshot: Despite Attacks on Obamacare, the Uninsured Rate Held Steady Last Year. Retrieved from https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/22/upshot/despite-attacks-on-obamacare-the-uninsured-rate-held-steady-last-year.html?rref=collection/timestopic/Health Care Reform&action=click&contentCollection=timestopics®ion=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=4&pgtype=collection
• House Majority Leader Paul Ryan’s Powerpoint presentation on the American Health Care Act (GOP Health Bill), Retrieved from http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2017/03/09/paul-ryan-full-health-care-bill-powerpoint-presenation.cnn (Alternate PDF Version)
• Short Video Slideshow: (Feb. 23, 2017) Medicaid’s role: What’s at stake under a block grant or per capita cap? Retrieved from http://kff.org/medicaid/video/medicaids-role-whats-at-stake-under-a-block-grant-or-per-capita-cap/ (Alternate PPT Version) disc4.docx